Aims | What is a nature Connection? | Brilliant Birds Activity Pack | Events| RSPB Growing up wild Paw Print | Share
Girlguiding LaSER are working in partnership with the RSPB to help our members discover their passion for wildlife, get connected to nature and enjoy Growing Up Wild. RSPB is the UK’s largest nature conservation charity, they want to inspire everyone to give nature a home. Together with their partners, they protect threatened, habitats, birds and wildlife so our towns, coast and countryside will teem with life once again.
We’d like to introduce you to Laura Warren, RSPB’s Youth Partnership Officer who is just as excited as us about the opportunities we want to give our members. Laura has been in this position since September 2015 and is the project lead for this 3 year partnership.
Meet Laura Warren, Youth Partnership Officer
Laura will be releasing updates in the Raspberry Ripple about the progress of the partnership and how you and your girls can get involved. Send Laura pictures of your unit taking part, you might even feature in her next Raspberry Ripple article or RSPB publications! Email all pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org and put ‘RSPB unit activities’ in the subject line.
Aims of the partnership:
- RSPB can offer to run fun outdoor nature connection activities at Girlguiding LaSER events and large County and District Activity days (for over 100 girls to attend!)
- Nature connection events on RSPB reserves where our members can discover more about wildlife at outdoor activity days for all sections
- To support Girlguiding LaSER volunteers to develop their skills and confidence in connecting young people with nature through workshops and resources
- To create an online and physical resource pack to use at RSPB reserves and Girlguiding LaSER campsites
- To improve the infrastructure at Girlguiding LaSER campsites
What is a nature connection?
This is a measure the RSPB have created to enable us to give young people a real experience of nature. A nature connection must be
- Minimum of 30 minutes outdoors first hand experience of nature
- Fun activity
- Where something is learnt
RSPB in partnership with Girlguiding LaSER have launched their Brilliant Birds Activity Pack. It is packed full of clever ways to get your girls involved with nature, download the pack here!
Brilliant Birds Activity Pack resources:
- Brilliant Birds Autumn Bird Bingo
- Brilliant Birds Spring Bird Bingo
- Brilliant Birds Summer Bird Bingo
- Brilliant Birds Winter Bird Bingo
- Brilliant Birds RSPB Survey
RSPB aims to be involved with a selection of Region events by developing fun outdoor connection activities, to set up nature connection events on RSPB reserves as well as workshops for Leaders to develop their skills in connecting girls with nature. Please see below for a list of events.
- Saturday 24 June 2017 – Girlguiding LaSER Walk the London Bridges 2017 is back
RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print
Here’s your chance to earn a unique RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print. We will be releasing seasonal activities for your unit to choose from each term. Simply complete the activities outdoors then fill in the evaluation form to receive your badge.
- Autumn RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print activities
- Winter RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print activities
- Spring RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print activities
- Summer RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print activities
Badges cost 80p each and can be ordered from Region Office. We have a limited number of badges so these will be posted on a first come first serve basis.
Note: Girls and Leaders will be able to earn the same RSPB Growing Up Wild Paw Print if they attend an RSPB/Girlguiding LaSER event at an RSPB reserve, unless a unique badge for the event is otherwise promoted.
Share with us
Please email us your feedback and let Laura know what she can do to help you. Although Laura will not be able to visit each unit, watch this space as RSPB may be able to provide a Local Group Volunteer to lead a connection activity with you!
Email all queries and feedback to email@example.com and put ‘Feedback for Laura from RSPB’ in the subject line.